Sunday, November 13, 2011

Unit 12

As I mentioned in an earlier blog, I think we are only scratching the surface when it comes to understanding the workings of a repository. Realistically that’s about the best that a semester or two can do—the actual experiences of working day-to-day with digital collections (hopefully) will provide the depth of understanding needed for competency and productivity. So when questioned which should be considered for future classes, the continuation of a semester of quick forays into the installation and configuration of four different virtual machines, or a pre-configured VM, I would have to say I’m split evenly between the two choices.


On one hand, things have started to come together this semester during the CLI parts of the class. In IRLS 672 I blindly copied code like a transcriptionist reproducing a manuscript in a foreign language. Now as I type, I’m beginning to get a sense of what I’m actually trying to do. Unfortunately if something goes wrong all I can do is compare and look for typos—it will take many more courses before I can suggest to myself an alternative way of coding. But that’s the progression in learning.

On the other hand, since I have many obligations in my life beside this class (family and work are two) something has had to suffer. I have spent hours and hours staring at code that wasn’t working the way it should have. That time could have been used for a better purpose working with a collection in a pre-configured VM, and I would probably know more about managing digital collections.

I don’t know if it’s logistically possible, but perhaps a compromise would work. Rather than developing four virtual machines from the ground up (Drupal, DSpace, ePrints and Omeka), why not select two and use the remaining time working with a collection in depth in a pre-configured virtual machine? From my perspective Drupal and Omeka were the least like each other, and also offered unique learning experiences that could apply to other platforms used for repositories today. And learning to apply ontologies, metadata, crosswalks, several plugins, etc, in one environment, but more in-depth and consistently, might serve us learners better.

No comments:

Post a Comment