Sunday, July 25, 2010

Unit 10 Blog

MySQL was not that difficult conceptually. If one can remember the syntax, it seems pretty straight-forward. Similar to following a recipe—do things in the proper order, and make sure your measurements are the same as the directions to ensure you get the right results. That being said, while I don’t think the concept is difficult, I certainly don’t have all the syntax rules memorized. While I can follow directions fairly well, it’s a different matter creating a new dish when you have multiple ingredients in front of you, but don’t know what any of them taste like, or how they will taste when combined together.
I think having 10 years of librarianship behind me working with Boolean operators helped with the section on logic. I do think that the explanation of the operator “NOT, as presented in the Mostafa’s video was difficult to understand because it was different than the concept of “NOT” I’m used to using..
As it was presented to me, and the way I’ve used it for years, is to think of a set, whereby NOT excludes a specific subset within that set.

However in Mostafa’s video, I understood NOT to be the reverse of the truth of falseness of a statement. In other words if 3+4=7 (true) than NOT 3+4=7 would be false. Conceptually this is hard for me to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment