Sunday, June 13, 2010

Unit 4

I am trying to build a better understanding of what I am doing, but I still don’t have a solid foundation that I can relate these command line interactions to. Friday things were going very well with Assignment 1 when I decided it was time to take a snapshot. In one stupid instance I hit Ctrl. Alt, Delete rather than Ctrl and Alt, and was sent to Windows task manager. When I navigated back to Ubuntu, I got a message which I thought was telling me I had made a fatal error. Visions of hours of reinstalling and configuring all the work I had previously done swam before my eyes. Luckily Bruce was monitoring the discussion list, and told me how to get back to where I started. I had taken an earlier snapshot, but had not yet used the process of restoring Ubuntu using one. That part was easier than I thought.

I try to be so precise when entering commands, and often get results I expect, but other times not. One frustrating part for me is not knowing how to recover from an error if going back through all the steps don’t help. One tip I learned the hard way is to focus on one task at a time and do not allow interruptions. Yesterday during the Webmin addition, I went through an entire series of steps without hitting the final “Create” button. Repetition, repetition and repetition is going to be the only way for me to learn these skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment